Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The 1912 Reo


  Those who know me personally have probably been bored to tears a few times by my self aggrandizing stories about riding my motorcycle from Halifax to Vancouver a few years back, well, even I have to admit that my trip pales in comparison to what freelance writer Thomas Wilby and driver/mechanic, Jack Haney accomplished. They drove Ransom E Olds' (yep, the Oldsmobile guy) Reo Special from Halifax to Vancouver in 1912! Read about the Journey.
Anyway, this drink was inspired by them, I put it together for the Finlandia cup this year with, obviously, vodka, but I like it better with whiskey.




1.5 oz Jack Daniels old No. 7
1/2 oz maple syrup
1/2 oz apple juice
1/2 oz walnut liqueur OR bar spoon of crushed walnuts
2 bar spoons cranberry jelly
dash whiskey barrel aged bitters
1 egg white (optional)

Shake extensively then double strain, especially if you've used crushed walnuts, into your fanciest glass. While you're at it, if you've got the walnuts, you might as well rim the glass with them then torch it with bitters flame, like so:

No comments:

Post a Comment